Friday, July 30, 2010

Tears...

Today I shed some tears... happy tears. Brooke came off of the oscillator and was put on the ventilator today. It seems funny to say that being put on the ventilator is a good thing, but after all she has been through this week it is great! After she was put on the ventilator, she took a while to adjust, but she is now a bit more herself. She looked at us for the first time in a week which was truly wonderful!

Overall, Brooke is doing better. Her ultrasound showed that her liver and gall bladder are sick, but they seem to be improving slowly. Her kidneys are working well and her seizures are controlled by the medication. Brooke's heart is still working hard and they are still having to help her manage her blood pressure with medication, but it is working. The news today is that Brooke is addicted to narcotics - she has needed so much fentanyl and versed over the past week for sedation that she is now an addict. They are bringing in a toxicologist to help her get through the withdrawal.

I also talked with the infectious disease doctor today and they still do not know what caused this. They believe that it is either medicine or a virus, but can not find any evidence of either so far. He did say that usually when they can not find a cause, the patient survives. And that's all that really matters.


We want to thank everyone for their love, support, and prayers throughout this last week. We also want to thank Grandpa for his love, humor, and compassion. He passed on peacefully today and we like to think that he put in a good word for Brooke. We will forever miss him.

11 comments:

  1. So happy to hear she is doing better. What a precious picture with Grandpa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy tears...yea! Those feel a lot better than the sad ones! So sorry to hear about Grandpa, glad you were able to capture some cute pics of him and Owen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJuly 31, 2010

    Hallelujah!!!! Great news. I am sorry to hear about Grandpa, but, as you say, he can put in a few good words for Brooke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooo glad to hear that hopefully Brooke is on the mend!!! What an ordeal. So sorry to hear about Grandpa Bill. What a nice man, and great caregiver.

    Praying for your family,
    love,
    Mary J.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so relieved for you guys and Brooke that she has had a turn for the better. "Fighter" seems like an understatement for little Brooke! Truly impressive. Know that I am thinking about all of you and sending you lots of prayers and positive wishes. Sorry to hear about Jason's grandpa too.
    -Kari

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad to hear that Brooke is taking some positive steps. That is such good news. It sounds like she is under tremendous care. I was with a couple of different HMS groups this week and Brooke came up in both conversations. She is obviously on all of our minds. I too am sorry to hear about Jason's grandpa. He can be yet another source of strength in Heaven as Brooke continues to improve. --Debby

    ReplyDelete
  7. So agree with Debby, Grandpa will be holding her as well as she continues to get stronger and stronger. Thinking of you always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This made me so happy when I read about it yesterday! It is about time for som good news around here. Grandpa totally had a hand at this. I will be thinking of him and all of you and sending strength to Brooke as she retains her 'Stainless' status.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for happy tears. So sorry to hear about Grandpa.

    Love,
    The Andersons

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy to hear that Brooke is getting better. I think her new nickname should be "Gladiator/Warrior" or "Titanium", as she is showing that she is not just a fighter and far more resilient than stainless steel. On a bittersweet note, my condolences on the loss of Grandpa. Brooke is fortunate to have another guardian angel on her side. We are continuing to send you positive thoughts and keep you in our prayers.

    The Chung Family

    ReplyDelete
  11. Each time I hug Connor, we send energy and love to you all. We've kept you in our thoughts and prayers all summer long. Your positive outlook is so inspiring! Brooke remains strong because of all the love you're giving her. Thank you for keeping us all updated on this blog. God bless your Grandpa.
    BIG hugs,
    Nikki Flanagan

    ReplyDelete